Monday 2 December 2013

What motivates you?

Hey Conquerors!

I wanted to discuss the topic of motivation and let you tell me what motivates you to do the things you do.

I actually started writing this particular blog a couple of months ago, but got side-tracked by life.

Today I submitted an application for a prestigious national scholarship award. It has taken weeks to get it prepared and I spent 9 hours today, grueling over the smallest details, to make it perfect. Motivation was hard, but I felt let down this morning when I inadvertently missed a deadline for something else that was much less important. Still the feeling was negative. I felt angry at myself, and upset - sad that I missed out on an opportunity (to win extra tickets to a show in the States!).

So my motivation to get my application done before the due date (tomorrow!) was negatively influenced as well as positively influenced... I felt the negative side of missing a deadline for something already and knew that if I missed this deadline, I would feel much worse.
The thought of how proud I would feel, or how excited I would feel if I won the award motivated me to ignore all the potential distractions waiting for me on the internet.
I am just proud of the fact that I got the application completed and submitted. It required a very detailed, thorough research proposal supported by literature as well as reference letters. I had to be organized, and efficient in order to get it done. I did it though, my internal and external motivating factors helped me get it done, and I am feeling good about it.


The things that motivate me in my life and in striving for my goals (which are numerous) include:

Success - completing my goals is an intrinsic motivating factor for me; also being recognized by leaders in the fields I take interest in is an extrinsic motivating factor for me.

Creativity - I am motivated to create and share (music, writing, etc.). I would say my drive to create is mostly intrinsic, though it does feel good to be acknowledged or complimented on your creations.

Growth - I am motivated to grow into my best potential self, learning everything and anything I can about the things I love or take deep interest in. I want to be the best at the things I do, or at least *my* best.

Fixing/Troubleshooting - I can't stand when things break or don't work. I need to know why/how and then fix them.

Those are just a few things I can think of right now.

What motivates you? Tell me in the comments form! :)



  If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to Conquer The Clouds


Other topics you may be interested in:

Engine for Change - Motivation for self-relection and self-improvement.


Motivating and encouraging statements - Help yourself stay above the water!





Conquer on!

1 comment: